Tuesday, May 22, 2012

1961 Vespa Congo (VGLB)



I was in Indonesia for a couple of days and driving along a saw an old Vespa. I asked the driver to stop. It looked like Douglas Sportique but had a square speedo and the man selling it keep saying 'Congo' having no idea want he was going on about we agreed a price and I arranged to leave it at a friends house until I could ship it to Hong Kong, which was a big mistake...

I read up on the proud Indonesian history of these scooters which goes along the lines of...

Indonesia forces did some peace keeping for NATO, their Garuda forces we're given the scooters in recognition of their service, different ranks were awarded with 125's 3 speed or 150's. 4 speed Vespa's. A special brass plate was fitted on the left hand (GS style) switch.



From my research these are loosely VGLA & VGLB Vespa's, frames from Italy and assembled or shipped in kit form (?) to Indonesia from the German factory in Ausberg, the models are known as T4's Germany.





I imagine their could be a trading link with Indonesian historical links with Holland as these scooters were also produce in neighboring Belgium???

The right color is this Green...

Having lived in Indonesia for over 18 months and began to understand the passion for Vespa's locally I wish I hadn't shipped it to Hong Kong as it can't legally be shipped back into Indonesia.

Which is a shame, maybe it has to come back in several pieces and be subject to a full restoration???

It's in storage in Hong Kong with a seized top end, which I like to think of as a antique Vespa anti-theft device.

This model is valuable here based on it's vague similarities to GS160, it's the closest thing to one here. Similar speedo/headset, rounded panels. OK, if you know your GS's you'll disagree completely but I did say vague similarities.

1 comment: